com.au vs .au: What’s the Difference? And Which is the Best?
In the complex world of the internet, understanding domain names is fundamental for businesses. In Australia, two domain names have a significant impact: “.com.au” and “.au”. Both can offer distinct advantages depending on your business needs and target audience. But, how do you choose? This article will explore the intricacies of both, enabling you to make an informed decision on what’s best for your enterprise.
Understanding Domains: The Basics
Understanding domains and their importance is vital in the digital age. If you want to create an online presence, a domain name can be the equivalent of your business card, an entry point, and an identifier all in one.
What is a Domain?
A domain name is the web address people type into a browser to visit your website. It’s your home on the internet, and it translates the physical server address (IP address) into human-friendly language.
- Examples: www.yourbusiness.com.au, yourbusiness.au
The Importance of the Right Domain
Choosing the right domain is important because:
- It affects your visibility on search engines (SEO)
- It helps define your brand and creates a first impression
- It can influence trust and credibility among your target audience
Comparing .com.au and .au Domains
For over three decades, the .com.au domain has reigned as the preferred choice for Australian websites, becoming virtually synonymous with local web addresses. Its popularity overshadows the newer .au domain. As of the time of writing this article, there were 3,157,483 registered .com.au domains, in contrast to 781,447 registered .au domains. While the gap may seem substantial, it’s crucial to note that .com.au has had a head start since the 1990s when it first became available for registration. On the other hand, .au was introduced just a year ago but has already witnessed significant demand.
The Differences: “.au” vs “.com.au”
The main difference is that .au is a second-level domain without an extension, while .com.au is exclusively for commercial entities in Australia. It is commonly used by companies engaged in e-commerce or providing goods and services to the Australian market. On the other hand, the .au domain extension is a more general top-level domain that encompasses a wider range of registrations. It includes not just commercial entities, but also government organizations, educational institutions, non-profit organisations, and individuals. The .au extension represents a broader spectrum of entities within Australia, while .com.au specifically caters to businesses. Now, let’s dig into our primary focus: comparing “.au” and “.com.au”.
“.com.au” is the most popular and recognised domain name in Australia. It has:
- Predominant use by Australian businesses
- A prerequisite that a registrant must be an Australian entity or have a connection with Australia
- An expectation among Australians that “.com.au” websites are local and trustworthy
- Higher chances of availability for your chosen name than with global “.com” domains
“.au” is a newer, shorter domain option intended to provide more domain registration choices. Its main characteristics are:
- Same policy requirements as “.com.au”
- Its duration: As of 2022, it has been three years since its introduction
- Its simplicity and brevity, potentially make it easier to remember
- Its current lower adoption rate, which could make your business stand out
Who’s the Audience for .com.au and .au Domains?
If your primary goal is to reach an Australian audience through your domain name, both .com.au and .au are excellent choices. Additionally, there are six other Australian domain options available, including .net.au, .org.au, .id.au, and .asn.au, all of which are equally suitable for targeting an Australian demographic.
In contrast to .com, which is a global domain applicable to any country, a domain ending in .au clearly signifies its focus on Australian users. This immediate user recognition provides a significant advantage that country code top-level domains (ccTLDs) have over generic top-level domains (TLDs) like .com or .net.
Which is Better for Your Business?
The choice between .com.au and .au depends on the specific goals and target audience of a website. Such As,
- Good for Businesses: It’s primarily intended for commercial entities operating in Australia. If your website represents a business or organisation with a strong commercial focus, .com.au is a suitable choice.
- Builds Trust: It’s recognised and trusted by Australian users, which can enhance credibility and trustworthiness.
- Clear Audience: It clearly signals that your website is intended for the Australian audience.
- General Audience: .au is more generic and can be used for various purposes, not limited to commercial entities. It’s a good choice if you’re not solely targeting the Australian market or if you want a more general domain.
- Shorter: .au is shorter, making it easier to remember and type.
- Flexibility: It provides more flexibility in domain name selection since it doesn’t have the .com extension.
Final Thoughts on .com.au vs .au
In summary, if your primary goal is to target an Australian audience with a commercial focus, .com.au is a strong choice. If you want a more generic or flexible domain, .au can be suitable. For example, Aus Asia Online has chosen the .com.au domain for its website to establish a strong online presence in Australia. This domain is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Australia and is recognised as the primary choice for businesses and organisations targeting the Australian audience. By using .com.au, Aus Asia Online ensures that its website is easily identifiable as an Australian entity. This domain extension also builds trust and credibility among Australian users, as they are more likely to engage with websites that use the .com.au extension for local services.
“When selecting a domain name for your business, it’s crucial to choose one that connects with your target audience, reflects your brand identity, and instils a sense of trust and recognition.”
Aus Asia Online will help you to choose the right domain for your business with a responsive website. Get In Touch!
You might also like: Local SEO for Small Business
Book a Free Strategy Session
We highly value your feedback. See what our clients are saying about us.Get a Free Quotation
- Martin Gian
Aus Asia Online goes the extra mile to ensure their customers get the best possible experience –
they genuinely care about what’s in their customer’s interest. Highly recommended!
– Kasmir Kaur
Very friendly and helpful
Thank you, Monir for all your help the website looks great.
Very friendly, helpful and experience team. They delivered on their promises – an exemplary level of commitment that ensured the success of our business objectives.
– John Green
Aus Asia Online did an excellent job handling the design of our website. I am happy that the results of your efforts were lasting and profitable.
– Alex Williams
Found this provider online, they were answering questions from other SEO companies which instantly showed me they had great knowledge of the industry. Thanks to them.
– David Richard
Aus Asia Online team has provided us with a comprehensive, fast and well-planned digital marketing strategy that has yielded great results in terms of content, SEO, and Social Media.
Monir and the team have done an excellent job at improving my site’s SEO and helped my business get NDIS leads.
We Proudly Work with Great Companies of All Sizes
Client success is always a priority for us. We strive to deliver high-quality solutions that are tailored specifically to our clients’ needs and helped them achieve their goals.